Bamboo - Inspiring Garden Ideas for all Gardeners
Bamboo has an exotic, serene beauty that can transform your garden into a tranquil retreat. Here are some inspiring ways to incorporate bamboo in your garden:
- Privacy Screens: If you’re looking for a natural barrier that offers privacy and reduces noise, consider a bamboo hedge or screen. Species such as Fargesia are clump-forming and won’t invade surrounding areas, making them perfect for this use.
- Bamboo Groves: Create a secluded, Zen-like corner with a bamboo grove. Pair with a simple stone path and a garden bench to create a tranquil, meditative space. Use running bamboos like Phyllostachys for this, but be aware they can be invasive and may need root barriers.
- Architectural Accents: Tall bamboo species can act as visual exclamation points, adding height and structure to the garden. They can be striking when backlighted.
- Containers: Smaller varieties of bamboo can be grown in containers for decks or patios. This also helps to control their spread.
- Wildlife Attraction: Bamboo is excellent for attracting wildlife, from birds that nest in their protection to insects that feed on their sap.
- Wind Chimes and Garden Art: Consider using bamboo canes to create DIY wind chimes or garden art.
- Bamboo Fencing: Use bamboo canes to create a fence or to reinforce an existing one. It’s a natural and affordable way to add an interesting aesthetic.
As a fast-growing, renewable resource, bamboo is an eco-friendly choice for many garden applications. However, be mindful of their invasive potential and consider clumping varieties or effective root barriers.