Key words to describe the contemporary garden are ‘simplicity’ and ‘balance’. And no color is more compatible with these concepts than white, the symbol of purity.
- Endless bands of white daffodils, a field of white tulips, or a lawn sprinkled throughout with white crocuses – all are useful elements of the contemporary, crisply designed garden.
- With respect to daffodils, 'Ice Wings' or 'Thalia' with their gracefully nodding, pure white flowers would be perfect choices for a delightful immaculate sight in the garden!
- On the tulip side, why don't you try the classy and elegant Tulip 'Purissima', the impressive 'Maureen', the highly romantic 'Mount Tacoma', the tall 'White Triumphator' with its long-lasting and exceptionally large, pure white reflexed petals or 'Swan Wings' with its fringed petals resembling the immaculate feathers of a swan? Most of them have been rewarded with prestigious awards and are among the gardeners' favorites! Since they enjoy different blooming periods, mixing them would enable to extend the white coloring of your garden.
- And how about the unforgettable and lovely Grecian Windflower 'White Splendour' (Anemone blanda) with its flowers sparkling in the sunshine in early spring or the Poppy Anemone 'The Bride' (Anemone coronaria) with its masses of pure white poppy-like flowers in mid-late spring?
Anemone blanda, Muscari botryoides
- Flower containers and pots filled with white hyacinths and white grape hyacinths are also perfect for the minimalistic garden.
Hyacinth 'Carnegie', Muscari botryoides 'Album'
- And then, there are the more exceptional bulbous plants that deserve a place in the contemporary garden owing to their neutral or conspicuous appearance. Among them are Allium 'Nigrum', which, despite its name, is a white flowering onion, featuring creamy-white flat clusters of starry silvery florets. This is a great naturalizer that will come back year after year. Allium 'Mount Everest' is a tall, splendid beauty - a real eye-catcher for a spot with full sun.