Changing color over the passing seasons, Abelia × grandiflora 'Mardi Gras' (Glossy Abelia) is a compact, low growing, spreading, semi-evergreen shrub. Borne on pink to red stems, its glossy oval leaves emerge bright pink in spring, mature to sparkling creamy white and green as the season progresses before taking on coppery shades in the fall. In late spring, an abundance of shell pink, slightly fragrant flowers covers the entire bush until early fall. Their attractive rose-colored calyces persist well after the flowers fall. Best grown in part shade for full foliage effect. Heat and drought tolerant once established.
- Grows up to 30 in. tall (75 cm) and 5 ft. wide (150 cm).
- A full sun or part shade lover, this plant is easily grown in average, medium moisture, well-drained soils. Best flower production in full sun. Provide a sheltered location to help prevent hard freeze damage.
- Perfect as a specimen plant or in small groupings, as an informal hedge or in containers.
- Low maintenance, this plant is generally pest and disease free. Deer resistant.
- Blooms on new wood, so prune as needed in late winter to early spring. May need hard pruning every 3 to 4 years.
- Propagate by softwood cuttings in early summer or semi-hardwood cuttings in late summer for home use