Abutilon 'Souvenir de Bonn' (Flowering Maple) is a large, upright, evergreen shrub bearing a profusion of pendent, salmon-pink, bell-shaped flowers, up to 2.5 in long (6 cm), adorned with dark red veining. Resembling Chinese lanterns, they dangle like porcelain earrings from the branches. Blooming for months from spring to fall (all year long in frost free areas), they attract butterflies and hummingbirds. Equally beautiful, the variegated foliage of large, maple-like, dark green leaves features showy, creamy edges. A desirable Abutilon that is perfect against a wall or in decorative containers.
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society.
- Grows up to 8-10 ft. tall (240-300 cm) and 4-6 ft. wide (120-180 cm).
- A full sun to part shade lover, this plant is best grown in evenly moist, rich, well-drained soils. Water freely in the growing season and sparingly in winter. Provide a sheltered location if grown outdoors. Appreciates afternoon shade in hottest climates.
- Perfect addition to Mediterranean gardens, or containers.
- Cut back if needed or pinch the branch tips to make the plant bushier and control its size.
- Propagate by softwood cuttings in spring or semi-ripe cuttings in summer.
- Native to Brazil