Spectacular, Abutilon megapotamicum 'Variegatum' (Trailing Abutilon) is a semi-evergreen shrub bearing pendent, bell-shaped flowers, 2 in. across (5 cm), adorned with a red calyx protecting its yellow petals. Blooming for weeks from summer to frost, they decorate the plant with a profusion of blossoms resembling Chinese lanterns. Butterflies and hummingbirds feast on them. Providing a neat contrast, the variegated foliage of heart-shaped, slender pointed leaves is flecked with golden yellow spots and lines the gracefully arching branches. This Abutilon has more lax growth than most other abutilons, so is ideally suited to growing as a wall shrub. An equally lovely addition to beds and borders, decorative containers or hanging baskets.
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society.
- Grows up to 2-6 ft. tall (60-180 cm) and 3-5 ft. wide (90-150 cm).
- A full sun to part shade lover, this plant is best grown in evenly moist, rich, well-drained soils. Provide a sheltered location if grown outdoors. Appreciates afternoon shade in hottest climates.
- Perfect for beds and borders or containers.
- Pinch the branch tips to make the plant bushier or control its size.
- Propagate by seed in spring or by softwood cuttings
- Native to Brazil