Noted for its remarkable leaf color, award-winning Acer palmatum 'Beni-Tsukasa' is a small deciduous shrub with a changing foliage, season after season. Emerging bright peachy-yellow in spring, the delicate foliage of palmate, 5-7 slender tipped lobed leaves gradually changes to pink and red with some greenish undertones. In early summer, the leaves mature to green with light variegations before turning brilliant red in fall. Slow-growing, this willowy Japanese Maple enjoys an upright, rounded habit and is ideal for small gardens or containers.
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society for its outstanding qualities
- Grows up to 10-12 ft. tall and wide (300-360 cm).
- A full sun or part shade lover, this plant is easily grown in moist, organically rich, slightly acidic, well-drained soils. Mulch helps retain soil moisture and keep roots cool. Best leaf color in partial shade, although full sun can be tolerated. Leaf scorch can be caused by lack of soil moisture or excessive exposure.
- Perfect as specimen plant in cottage gardens, city gardens or for containers.
- Low maintenance, this plant needs little pruning. If pruning is necessary, prune during the dormant season and avoid pruning in spring when the sap is running. Fertilize in spring before the leaves emerge.
- May be affected by horse chestnut scale, aphids, verticillium wilt.
- Propagate by grafting or softwood cuttings