Noted for its persistent leaf color throughout the entire growing season, award-winning Acer palmatum 'Crimson Queen' is a medium-sized deciduous shrub of outstanding interest. Unlike most Laceleaf Japanese Maples with rich red color in spring or early summer, turning green or bronze afterwards, 'Crimson Queen' keeps its stunning rich red coloration from spring to summer. The eye-catching foliage is very finely dissected into medium to large, 7-9 lobed leaves. It turns very bright scarlet in the fall before shedding to the ground. More sun tolerant than most, this cultivar can be exposed to full sun with practically no sunburn. Strong-growing, this Japanese Maple enjoys a lovely cascading habit and has become a favorite for many gardeners.
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society for its outstanding qualities
- Grows up to 8-10 ft. tall (240-300 cm) and 10-12 ft. wide (300-360 cm).
- A full sun or part shade lover, this plant is easily grown in moist, organically rich, slightly acidic, well-drained soils. Mulch helps retain soil moisture and keep roots cool. Leaf scorch can be caused by lack of soil moisture or excessive exposure.
- Perfect as specimen plant in cottage gardens, city gardens or for containers.
- Low maintenance, this plant needs little pruning. If pruning is necessary, prune during the dormant season and avoid pruning in spring when the sap is running. Fertilize in spring before the leaves emerge.
- May be affected by horse chestnut scale, aphids, verticillium wilt.
- Propagate by grafting or softwood cuttings