Noted for its showy scarlet bark and fall color, award-winning Acer palmatum 'Eddisbury' (Coral-Bark Maple) is a large deciduous shrub or small tree of great interest. The delicate 5-lobed leaves which open bronze-green, and mature to fresh green in summer, warm up to golden-yellow and crimson in fall before they shed to the ground. As they fall, they expose the bright, red bark on young twigs and branches, adding a much needed splash of color in the winter landscape. Vigorous, this maple tree enjoys an upright habit that broadens with age, and makes an outstanding four-season tree that is enjoyed by all gardeners as it graces the landscape. A must for those who appreciate winter bark interest!
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society for its outstanding qualities
- Grows up to 10-15 ft. tall (3-4.5 m) and 6-10 ft. wide (2-3 m).
- A full sun or part shade lover, this plant is easily grown in moist, organically rich, slightly acidic, well-drained soils. Mulch helps retain soil moisture and keep roots cool. Best leaf color in partial shade, although full sun can be tolerated. Leaf scorch can be caused by lack of soil moisture or excessive exposure.
- Perfect as specimen plant in cottage gardens, city gardens or for foundation plantings.
- Low maintenance, this plant needs little pruning. If pruning is necessary, prune during the dormant season and avoid pruning in spring when the sap is running. Fertilize in spring before the leaves emerge.
- May be affected by horse chestnut scale, aphids, Verticillium wilt.
- Propagate by grafting or softwood cuttings