Noted for its reliability and distinctive foliage color, Acer palmatum 'Ornatum' is a slow-growing deciduous shrub with an elegant, rounded habit. In spring, this Laceleaf Japanese Maple produces small reddish flowers which give way to seeds. While attractive close up, the flowers are however not particularly showy from a distance. The delicate foliage of ferny, lace-like leaves with very long, thin lobes, each further dissected into sub-lobes, is brilliant bronze-red in spring and stands out beautifully in the landscape. In late summer, the leaves change to bronze-green before warming up to dazzling crimson-red in fall. Hardy, this Japanese Maple provides a great color contrast in the garden and is suitable as a focal point or as the perfect foil for a mass of green in the landscape.
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society for its outstanding qualities
- Grows up to 10-15 ft. tall (300-450 cm) and 8-10 ft. wide (240-300).
- A full sun or part shade lover, this plant is easily grown in moist, organically rich, slightly acidic, well-drained soils. Mulch helps retain soil moisture and keep roots cool. Best leaf color in partial shade, although full sun can be tolerated. Leaf scorch can be caused by lack of soil moisture or excessive exposure.
- Perfect as specimen plant in cottage gardens, city gardens.
- Low maintenance, this plant needs little pruning. If pruning is necessary, prune during the dormant season and avoid pruning in spring when the sap is running. Fertilize in spring before the leaves emerge.
- May be affected by horse chestnut scale, aphids, verticillium wilt.
- Propagate by grafting or softwood cuttings