Incredibly attractive, award-winning Agave victoriae-reginae is an evergreen, perennial succulent forming a perfectly spherical, solitary rosette of thick, smooth and spineless, dark green leaves. Each leaf is adorned with almost 'hand-painted' white margins and a small terminal spine. While infrequent, mature plants (over 10 years) flower only once. They are topped with a magnificent flowering spike that can reach 15 ft. (5m), and bears dense clusters of creamy-white flowers. The flowering rosette dies after flowering and will have to be replaced as it usually does not offset. Very slow-growing, this distinctive Agave is terrific for sunny borders or containers.
- Grows up to 1 ft. tall (30 cm) and 1-2 ft. wide (30-60 cm). May reach 15 ft. (450 cm) with flower stalk.
- Winner of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- Easily grown in slightly acidic, sandy or gravelly, dry to medium moisture, well-drained soils in full sun. Tolerates light shade. Once established, needs only occasional watering. Dry soil and drought tolerant
- Great for beds and borders, city gardens, rock gardens, succulent gardens or Mediterranean gardens. Ideal as an accent plant in sunny borders or in decorative containers.
- Attracts hummingbirds and birds but is deer resistant
- Virtually disease free. Watch for scale insects.
- Propagate by offsets in spring or fall
- Use caution, safety glasses, long sleeves, long pants, well covered shoes, and gloves when cutting this plant.
- Native to Mexico