Fast growing, Ajuga reptans 'Blueberry Muffin' (Carpet Bugle) is a vigorous evergreen perennial prized for its blueberry-blue flowers and thick leaves, which quickly form a dense mat of attractive rosettes. Emerging with a bronze flush in mid-spring, the small but weather resistant, green leaves contrast nicely with the lavender-blue flower spikes, 8 in. tall (20 cm). Ajuga reptans is valued as a wonderful spreader making a colorful groundcover, which will thrive in shady areas where grass has difficulty growing. Perfect for planting between stepping stones, in wall crevices.
- Gardeners treasure the showy foliage of Ajuga reptans and its carpet habit more than its flowers. Ground-hugging, this perennial plant grows up to 6-10 in. tall (15-25 cm) and 18 in. wide (45 cm), and remains attractive most of the year.
- A part shade to full shade lover, it thrives in average, medium, well-drained soils and tolerates almost any soils provided they are moist and humusy. Will tolerate full sun if constant moisture is provided.
- Provide good air circulation to avoid crown root problems. This plant is rabbit and deer resistant!
- A remarkably low-maintenance plant, this excellent performer is highly versatile and can be used in many situations: groundcovers, on banks or slopes, under trees or shrubs. It is also great in containers!
- Propagate by division, separating rooted stems.
- Generally pest free. Watch for powdery mildews
- May be mowed after flowering in order to get rid of the spent flower spikes and clean up the planting.