Noted for its wonderful tricolored foliage, Ajuga reptans 'Burgundy Glow' (Carpet Bugle) is a popular low-growing perennial prized for its short spikes of pretty blue flowers and contrasting creamy-white, rose-burgundy, and dark green foliage. Spreading more slowly than many other varieties, 'Burgundy Glow' will form over time a thick mat of attractive, lustrous rosettes. In fall, its older leaves take on a rich bronze hue, while the younger leaves have a rosy color, creating a multicolored effect. Ajuga reptans is valued as a wonderful spreader making a colorful groundcover, which will thrive in shady areas where grass has difficulty growing. Evergreen in most regions, it is perfect for planting between stepping stones or in wall crevices.
- Gardeners treasure the showy foliage of Ajuga reptans and its carpet habit more than its flowers. Ground-hugging, this perennial plant grows up to 6 in. tall (15 cm) and 8-10 in. wide (20-25 cm), and remains attractive most of the year.
- A part shade to full shade lover, it thrives in average, medium, well-drained soils and tolerates almost any soils provided they are moist and humusy. Will tolerate full sun if constant moisture is provided.
- Provide good air circulation to avoid crown root problems. This plant is rabbit and deer resistant!
- A remarkably low-maintenance plant, this excellent performer is highly versatile and can be used in many situations: groundcovers, on banks or slopes, under trees or shrubs. It is also great in containers!
- Propagate by division, separating rooted stems.
- Generally pest free. Watch for powdery mildews
- May be mowed after flowering in order to get rid of the spent flower spikes and clean up the planting.