Spice up your garden or patio with the spectacular blossoms of Alstroemeria 'Flaming Star' (Peruvian Lily). Free-flowering, this exuberant and vigorous perennial features brilliant orange funnel-shaped flowers that are ideal to brighten up the garden. Opening from red buds in early summer, they bloom profusely for weeks above a handsome foliage of lance-shaped, light green leaves.
- Blooming from early summer to early fall, this Peruvian Lily constitutes an excellent border plant, providing striking color and contrast to the perennial border and mixes beautifully with annuals and other summer flowering bulbs. It is well suited to containers, to small gardens lacking space, and to the cutting garden as it makes excellent fresh cut flowers. Great as accent plants (plant a minimum of 3 plants for best visual impact), spectacular in mass plantings.
- Growing up to 28 in. tall (70 cm) on stems clad with narrow green leaves, it performs best in full sun or light shade and enjoys fertile, moist, well-drained soils. Good moisture is required and dry soils should be avoided. Select a spot that is sheltered from the wind. Hardy once established, it will need mulching through winter
- Reliable, easy to grow, low maintenance, beloved by butterflies and other pollinators but ignored by deer.
- Generally disease free. May be damaged by slugs.
- Pull stems from the base to promote new blooms (instead of cutting). Deadhead the spent flowers to prevent this plant from multiplying too much via self-seeding.
- Propagate by division in fall or very early spring.
- Contact may cause skin allergies.