Easy care, drought tolerant and deer resistant, Asclepias tuberosa 'Hello Yellow' (Butterfly Weed) is a bushy perennial prized for its brilliant clusters of bright golden yellow flowers which bloom continuously from early to late summer. Sitting atop upright flowering stems, clad with stiff, lance-shaped leaves, the colorful umbels are followed by attractive seed pods in the fall. When the seed pods open, they reveal seeds with long, silvery-white, silky hairs that look great in dried flower arrangements. The abundant foliage provides a dark-green backdrop which nicely compliments the cheerful flat umbel flowers. A great choice for the flower garden and for natural settings.
- Grows in sturdy, upright clumps up to 18-24 in. tall and wide (45-60 cm)
- Thrives in full sun in average, dry to medium moisture, well-drained soils. Performs well in poor, dry soils.
- Low maintenance, this perennial plant is generally pest and disease free. Deer resistant.
- Vital ingredient of beds and borders, cottage gardens, butterfly gardens, meadows or prairies. Asclepias tuberosa is also valued for the excellent quality of its cut flowers, whether in bouquets or dried floral arrangements.
- Butterfly Weed flowers are a great nectar source for butterflies or bees.
- Propagate by seed, propagate by division or root basal cuttings in spring.
- Butterfly weed does not transplant well and is probably best left undisturbed once established. May freely self-seed in the landscape if seed pods are not removed prior to splitting open.
- Butterfly weed will rebloom more reliably if spent flowers are removed.