Vigorous and maybe one of the hardiest, Camellia japonica 'April Remembered' is a lovely Japanese camellia with masses of large, 4.5 in. wide (11 cm), semi-double flowers, with pink petals darkening towards the edge from a pale and delicate creamy shade and surrounding a center of golden-yellow stamens. The blooms are produced over a fairly long period from early to late season (October - May in the northern hemisphere; March - October in the southern hemisphere). They contrast beautifully with the evergreen foliage of glossy dark green leaves. This glorious camellia hybrid belongs to the April Series introduced by Dr. Clifford Parks and can be successfully grown in regions as cold as USDA Zone 6a.
- Fast growing, this evergreen shrub enjoys an upright habit with attractive spreading branches. Grows up to 8-10 ft. tall (240-300 cm) with a spread of 6-8 ft. (180-240 cm)
- A part shade to full shade lover, this plant is best grown in consistently moist, acidic, organically rich, well-drained soils. Provide a site sheltered from cold, dry winds as buds and flowers may be damaged by cold winds. Protect from early morning sun and from direct hot summer afternoon sun.
- Camellias are susceptible to some viruses and fungal diseases including leaf spots, anthracnose, black mold, petal blight, canker and root rot. Watch also for aphids, planthoppers and spider mites.
- Mass in mixed shrub borders for dramatic winter blooms. Great flowering shrub for woodland gardens or as screen and hedge. Perfect as a specimen plant and may be effectively grown in tubs or large containers.
- Apply a root mulch (leaves or shredded bark)
- Prune after flowering. Prune to thin branching and to control size and shape.