Highly decorative, Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Ellwoodii' (Lawson Cypress) is an upright, evergreen shrub of dense columnar habit with short sprays of soft feathery, silver-blue foliage, turning steel-blue in winter. Slow growing, 1-6 in. (2.5-15 cm) per year. Very versatile, it is a popular choice in a number of gardens. Adding year-round structure, it makes a wonderful specimen plant, adds accent vertical lines to the landscape and is perfect for hedges and screens.
- Winner of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society for its noteworthy qualities
- Grows up to 13-20 ft. tall (390-600 cm) and 5-8 ft. wide (150-240 cm).
- A full sun to part shade lover, this plant is easily grown in average, moist, well-drained soils. Tolerant of chalk soils but prefers slightly acidic soil. Protect from strong winds.
- Perfect as a specimen plant or for hedges and screens.
- Low maintenance, no pruning required.
- May be affected by honey fungus and Phytophthora root diseases.
- Propagate by grafting and semi-hardwood cuttings.