Regarded as the bluest of the Lawson Cypress cultivars, Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Pembury Blue' is a majestic, evergreen conifer forming a medium-sized, broadly conical tree. Its elegant, pendulous sprays of bright silvery-blue foliage scream for attention year round. It is of moderate growth, 6-12 in. (15-30 cm) per year. A popular choice in a number of gardens, this cultivar is ideal for providing year-round structure. It makes a wonderful specimen plant, adds accent vertical lines to the landscape and is perfect for hedges and screens.
- Winner of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society for its noteworthy qualities
- Grows up to 8-10 ft. tall (240-300 cm) and 4-5 ft. wide (48-60 cm) after 10 years.
- A full sun to part shade lover, this plant is easily grown in average, moist, well-drained soils. Tolerant of chalk soils but prefers slightly acidic soil. Protect from strong winds.
- Perfect as a specimen plant or for hedges and screens.
- Low maintenance, no pruning required.
- May be affected by honey fungus and Phytophthora root diseases.
- Propagate by grafting and semi-hardwood cuttings
- Native from southern Oregon to northern California