Cordyline australis 'Pink Passion' or 'Seipin' (Cabbage Palm) is an incredibly showy evergreen shrub with arching, sword-like, gray-purple leaves adorned with bold pink margins. Adding drama year-round with its bold colors and tropical look, this beautiful palm introduces substance to the garden and your containers. A sport of 'Red Star', it produces impressive panicles of small, sweetly scented white flowers in late spring to early summer, on mature plants (container-grown plants rarely flower). Often seen as a specimen gracing a terrace or deck, it is also well-suited to both traditional and contemporary planting schemes.
- Adds architectural height to the garden and grows with an upright habit up to 2-4 ft. tall and wide (60-120 cm). Will branch to produce several heads over time.
- Easily grown in fertile, moist, well-drained soils in full sun to light shade. Provide a sheltered site. Tolerates a wide range of soils from wet to dry ones. Salt and drought tolerant. Though frost hardy, young Cordyline australis plants are more prone to cold damage. Tie the leaves loosely into a bunch to protect the vulnerable tip
- Deer resistant
- Great for beds and borders, city gardens, coastal gardens, gravel gardens or Mediterranean gardens. Ideal as an accent plant in sunny borders or in decorative containers!
- Virtually disease free. Watch for mealybug, scale and spider mites.
- Propagate by seed or suckers
- To be planted in spring
- Native to New Zealand
Introducing exoticism in our gardens with its palm-like appearance, Cordyline australis are choice evergreen shrubs or small trees for coastal gardens, Mediterranean gardens and container displays. It is regularly cultivated in succulent gardens, particularly to introduce height without forfeiting too much space. Easy to grow, they may reach 10-30 ft. in height (3-9 m). Cordyline australis is not fully hardy, but more mature specimens usually survive winter outdoors in milder regions or urban areas.