Eye-catching, Crassula capitella 'Campfire' is a branching succulent with densely stacked, propeller-like, pale green leaves that change to brilliant scarlet in bright light. The color is brightest in winter in response to cool nights and bright sunlight. Low-growing, this plant spreads by runners to form a colorful mat. It can be used as a small scale groundcover. Clusters of small, starry, flowers appear in summer.
- Grows up to 6 in. tall (15 cm) and 2-3 ft. wide (60-90 cm).
- Thrives in well-drained soils in full sun or partial shade. Best leaf coloration is obtained in sun although some shade protection from midday heat in hot climate areas would be welcomed. Irrigate only occasionally to regularly. This succulent is drought tolerant.
- Perfect for rock gardens, containers, or as groundcover.
- Deer resistant
- Propagate by division, offsets or leaf cuttings.
- Virtually disease free. Watch for mealybugs, vine weevil and aphids
- Native to South Africa