Extraordinarily eye-catching, Echeveria agavoides 'Ebony' is a small evergreen succulent forming tight rosettes of fleshy, sharp-pointed, gray-green leaves adorned with vivid red margins turning chocolate to dark purple towards their tips. In perfect specimens, this interesting coloration extends around the entire top half of the leaf. Reminiscent of an Agave, each leaf is tipped with a small spine (hence the name). In late winter into spring, a flowering spike bearing reddish-pink flowers with yellow tips is on display. The more sun this Echeveria gets, the more conspicuous its dark coloration. Cool weather will also bring out the deeper color. A great choice for sunny gardens or containers.
- Grows up to 6 in. tall (15 cm) and 8-12 in. wide (20-30 cm).
- Easily grown in rocky, well-drained soils in sun or partial shade. Indoors, provide bright light. Once established, requires occasional water during the hot season. Divide clumps every 2 to 3 years in early spring.
- Perfect for rock gardens, containers where spectacular floral arrangements can be created.
- Virtually disease free. Watch for mealybugs, vine weevil and aphids
- Propagate by stem or leaf cuttings in spring or early summer. Separate offsets in spring
- Native to Mexico