Gardenia jasminoides 'Fortuniana' (Cape Jasmine) is a large evergreen shrub with thick, lustrous, lance-shaped, dark green leaves and deliciously fragrant, pure white, double flowers resembling camellia flowers, up to 4 in. wide (10 cm). Blooming from mid-spring through mid-summer, it's the most free-blooming cultivar. This handsome rounded shrub makes a stunning addition to the landscape and splendid corsages!
- This evergreen shrub enjoys a bushy habit and grows up to 6-8 ft. tall and wide (180-240 cm)
- A full sun to light shade lover, this Gardenia is best grown in consistently moist, acidic, organically rich, well-drained soils. Although it prefers full sun, some shade is appreciated during the warmer months of the year or its leaves may scorch and its buds may fall off if they get too much sunlight. In hot climates, Gardenias grow best with morning sun and afternoon shade. In cooler areas, they can tolerate full sun, especially if their roots are covered with organic mulch.
- Perfect as a specimen plant and useful as hedges or in containers. Great cut flowers.
- May be affected by powdery mildew, leaf spots, dieback, anthracnose, sooty mold, whiteflies, mealybugs, scales, aphids and spider mites.
- Cut off the faded Gardenia flowers, just below the leaf node, to encourage continuous blooming.
- Prune/shape your Gardenia plant when it is dormant, to promote branching and compact growth
- Propagate by seed, greenwood or semi-hardwood cuttings
- Native to southern China and Japan