Noted for its extremely long blooming season, Gardenia jasminoides 'Four Seasons' (Cape Jasmine) is a compact, low-growing, evergreen shrub with shiny, lance-shaped, dark green leaves and sweetly fragrant, loose, double, pure white flowers. Blooming from spring to fall, this everblooming Gardenia makes a splendid specimen and a wonderful container plant. To be placed near doorways and on patios, where its fragrance can be enjoyed!
- This evergreen shrub enjoys a bushy habit and grows up to 2-3 ft. tall and wide (60-90 cm)
- A full sun to light shade lover, this Gardenia is best grown in consistently moist, acidic, organically rich, well-drained soils. Although it prefers full sun, some shade is appreciated during the warmer months of the year or its leaves may scorch and its buds may fall off if they get too much sunlight. In hot climates, Gardenias grow best with morning sun and afternoon shade. In cooler areas, they can tolerate full sun, especially if their roots are covered with organic mulch.
- May be used in large containers and is ideal for hedges, mass planting or as a single specimen. Great cut flowers.
- May be affected by powdery mildew, leaf spots, dieback, anthracnose, sooty mold, whiteflies, mealybugs, scales, aphids and spider mites.
- Cut off the faded Gardenia flowers, just below the leaf node, to encourage continuous blooming.
- Prune/shape your Gardenia plant when it is dormant, to promote branching and compact growth
- Propagate by seed, greenwood or semi-hardwood cuttings
- Native to southern China and Japan