A cold hardy re-blooming Gardenia, Gardenia jasminoides 'ScentAmazing' (Cape Jasmine) is a compact evergreen shrub with thick, lustrous, lance-shaped, dark green leaves and highly fragrant, single, pristine white flowers. Blooms in late spring and re-blooms sporadically through summer into fall. A charming rounded shrub that is perfect as a specimen plant or in containers.
- This evergreen shrub enjoys a bushy habit and grows up to 30-36 in. tall and wide (75-90 cm).
- A full sun to light shade lover, this Gardenia is best grown in consistently moist, acidic, organically rich, well-drained soils. Although it prefers full sun, some shade is appreciated during the warmer months of the year or its leaves may scorch and its buds may fall off if they get too much sunlight. In hot climates, Gardenias grow best with morning sun and afternoon shade. In cooler areas, they can tolerate full sun, especially if their roots are covered with organic mulch.
- Perfect as a specimen plant or in containers. Great cut flowers.
- May be affected by powdery mildew, leaf spots, dieback, anthracnose, sooty mold, whiteflies, mealybugs, scales, aphids and spider mites.
- Cut off the faded Gardenia flowers, just below the leaf node, to encourage continuous blooming.
- Prune/shape your Gardenia plant when it is dormant, to promote branching and compact growth
- Propagate by seed, greenwood or semi-hardwood cuttings
- Native to southern China and Japan