Geum 'Dark and Stormy' is a clump-forming, herbaceous perennial with ruffled, semi double to single, red-orange flowers, 1 in. across (3 cm), paling to soft apricot as they mature, creating a lovely bicolor effect. Each plant may produce up to 175 flowers. Blooming profusely for 3-4 weeks from late spring to early summer, they rise on sparsely leafed red stems, well above the fresh and lush foliage of incised green leaves. Vigorous and disease resistant, Dark and Stormy belongs to the Cocktail Series.
- Grows up to 18 in. tall and wide (45 cm).
- Enjoys full sun to part shade in average, medium moisture, well-drained soils. Moist, fertile soils are preferred. Needs afternoon shade in hot, humid climates.
- Excellent in perennial borders, butterfly gardens, rock gardens or cottage gardens. Well suited to containers too! Very useful and adaptable in the garden, it is easy to grow.
- Deer and rabbit resistant, it is a real magnet for butterflies, hummingbirds and bees!
- No serious pest or disease problems. May occasionally be attacked by sawfly larvae
- Remove spent flower stems to promote further blooms and cut back after flowering is over.
- Propagate by seed in pots in a cold frame in winter or propagate by division in spring or fall