Noted for its unique foliage and the beauty of its flowers, Helleborus 'Penny's Pink' (Hellebore) features large, single, bright mauve blossoms, 3 in. wide (7 cm), adorned with a crown of creamy stamens. Unlike most hellebores, the flowers face outward attracting interest. Opening from dark purple buds, these charming and dainty beauties turn deeper pink and take on green tones as they mature. Blooming heavily for weeks from late winter to mid spring, they rise on sturdy stems above a most attractive leathery foliage. Each leaf is held on purplish pink petioles. Emerging bronzy green in spring, the evergreen leaves display conspicuous hot pink veins which gradually mature to bright emerald green, creating a lovely marbling effect that can be admired all year long. Showy and long-lasting, 'Penny's Pink bloom in the first year and is ideal to brighten the shade garden.
- Grows in a bushy, upright clump, up to 18-24 in. tall and wide (45-60 cm). This perennial will self-seed in satisfactory growing conditions.
- Performs best in partial shade to full shade, in rich, humusy, moist, alkaline, well-drained soils. Lenten Roses are very tolerant and will grow well in most soils as long as the ground is not extremely dry or stagnantly waterlogged. Select a sheltered site to protect them from cold, winter winds. Deer resistant!
- Easy to grow, this plant is a welcomed addition to shady borders, containers, under trees or large shrubs, woodland gardens or naturalized areas. Plant in groups for best visual impact. Lovely groundcover when massed
- May be affected by hellebore black death, hellebore leaf spot, slugs and aphids.
- Remove faded flower stems (unless you require seed) to promote new growth and for a neat appearance.
- Propagate by division after flowering in late spring
- Ingestion may cause severe discomfort; skin irritant.