Tough and eye-catching, Leucadendron salignum 'Summer Red' is a multi-stemmed evergreen shrub grown for its attractive bracts and dazzling foliage of narrow leaves, turning vibrant red in spring and summer before fading to pale green. Often mistaken for flowers, leathery red and cream bracts surround cones at the branch tips. These bracts are long-lasting and stunning in fresh and dried arrangements. Native to South Africa, this pretty shrub is heat and drought-tolerant once established.
- Grows upright with an open habit to 3-4 ft. high (90-120 cm) and 4-6 ft. wide (120-180 cm).
- Easily grown in sandy, acidic, well-drained soils in full sun. Will grow in poor soils. Occasional to infrequent watering. Heat and drought-tolerant once established. Use little to no Phosphorus fertilizer.
- Deer resistant
- Great for Mediterranean gardens and xeriscaping. Perfect for screens or hedges.
- Virtually disease free and pest free.
- Prune back after flowering to encourage a bushy, compact habit and prevent leggy growth.
- Root semi-ripe cuttings with bottom heat in summer
- Native to South Africa