Perfect for the late summer garden, Lycoris albiflora (White Spider Lily) is a bulbous perennial boasting eye-catching umbels of 6-8 glistening white flowers, adorned with elegantly curled petals and exceptionally long stamens. Each petal may display a narrow creamy-pink stripe down its center, fading to white with age. Blooming in late summer to early fall, the blossoms appear on naked stems. The foliage of strap-shaped, dark green leaves emerges in the fall, after flowering, and persists all winter long, dying down in the spring. Lycoris albiflora is a lovely flowering bulb, adding sparkles to the waning fall landscape. Excellent as cut flower too.
- Grows up to 18-24 in. tall (45-60 cm) and 12 in. wide (30 cm).
- Best flowering occurs in full sun to light shade in organically rich, medium moisture, well-drained soil that dries out in summer. Water lightly until top growth emerges, then moderately during its growing period. Protect in colder areas with a deep, dry mulch over winter. In areas with wet summers grow as a container plant.
- This plant deserves a prime spot in beds and borders and is well suited for cottage gardens or large containers. Plant in groups of 3-5 minimum for best visual impact.
- Virtually pest and disease free. Deer resistant and attractive to butterflies and hummingbirds!
- Plants are best left undisturbed in the soil.
- Native to Japan