Noted for its dramatic foliage, Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens' is a mondo grass cultivar forming dense tufts of arching, strap-shaped, grass-like, dark purple to almost jet black leaves, about 8-12 in. long (20-30 cm). Racemes of small, bell-shaped, pale pinkish white flowers emerge on dark stems in summer before giving way to glossy dark purple berries. Reminiscent of Liriope, this evergreen perennial is tough, durable and perfect for adding drama and contrast to the garden. Fabulous when combined with caramel Heuchera, silver or gold foliage plants.
- Compact, this Mondo Grass grows up to 6-8 in. tall (15-20 cm) and slowly spreads to 9-12 in. wide (27-30 cm) to form a weed-proof mat.
- Winner of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- Easily grown in rich, humusy, slightly acid, medium moisture, well-drained soils in full sun to part shade. Thrives in evenly moist soils which do not dry out. Adaptable to a wide range of conditions. Salt and drought tolerant.
- Deer and rabbit resistant
- Great for beds and borders, edging, groundcovers, underplanting shrubs, city gardens, coastal gardens, gravel gardens or Mediterranean gardens. Excellent as container plant!
- Virtually disease free. Watch for slugs
- Propagate by division in spring as growth resumes
- Native to Asia