Tough, hardy, and exceptionally floriferous, Rhododendron dauricum 'Mid-Winter' is a medium-size, deciduous or semi-evergreen shrub that brightens up the dull days of winter. Among the earliest Rhododendrons to bloom, 'Mid-Winter' bears small saucer-shaped, purple flowers, up to 1.5 in. wide (4 cm), on its bare branches in late winter to early spring. The frost-resistant blossoms contrast beautifully with the foliage of small, elliptic, dark, glossy green leaves which turn purple-bronze in winter. A very reliable performer, this Rhododendron dauricum hybrid is tough and can withstand temperatures as low as -15°F (-26°C). It is ideal to enliven and cheer up your winter garden.
- Grows with an upright, bushy habit, up to 3-5 ft. tall and wide (90-150 cm).
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- A sun to part shade lover, this plant is easily grown in moist, acidic, humusy, well-drained soils. Plant shallowly in a location protected from strong winter winds. Protect from frost to prevent damage to flowers. Mulch annually with leaf mould to retain moisture, control weeds, and cool the soil.
- Perfect for shrub borders or mixed borders, as flowering hedges or screens, banks and slopes, and shade gardens.
- Attracts butterflies, hummingbirds and birds.
- Removing spent flowers promotes new growth.
- All parts of plant are poisonous if ingested.