Noted for its outstanding flavor and high yields, Ribes uva-crispa 'Hinnonmäki Röd' is a red gooseberry, for dessert or culinary. This small to medium, deciduous shrub enjoys a vigorous upright growth habit and boasts large, edible, dark red fruits which ripen in mid-summer. The gooseberries have a sweet flesh and contrasting tart skin.They are excellent for jam and desserts. This plant is self-fertile and resistant to American gooseberry mildew. It begins fruiting the year after planting.
- Grows up to 2-5 ft. tall (60-150 cm) and 3-6 ft. wide (90-180 cm).
- A full sun to part shade lover, this plant is easily grown in average, medium moisture, well-drained soils. Prefers full sun but appreciates some shade in hot summer areas. Site in a location protected from strong winter winds and frost pockets.
- Attracts scores of butterflies and birds but is ignored by rabbits.
- Keep an eye out for Gooseberry sawfly, capsid bug, birds, squirrels, aphids, leaf spot.
- Prune gooseberries in winter and summer to maximize fruit production
- Propagate by hardwood cuttings in winter.