Noted for its high yields, Ribes uva-crispa 'Pixwell' is a small, deciduous shrub that is vigorous and almost thornless. It boasts medium to large, tart, pink fruits which ripen in mid-summer. The gooseberries have a sweet flesh and contrasting tart skin. They are excellent for jam and desserts. This plant is self-fertile.
- Grows up to 3-4 ft. tall and wide (90-120 cm).
- A full sun to part shade lover, this plant is easily grown in organically rich, medium moisture, well-drained soils. Prefers full sun but appreciates some shade in hot summer areas. Site in a location protected from strong winter winds and frost pockets.
- Attracts scores of butterflies and birds but is ignored by rabbits.
- Keep an eye out for Gooseberry sawfly, capsid bug, birds, squirrels, aphids, leaf spot.
- Prune gooseberries in winter and summer to maximize fruit production
- Propagate by hardwood cuttings in winter.