Noted for its unique color, Rudbeckia hirta 'Cherry Brandy' is a biennial boasting stunning, bright cherry-red flowers, 3-4 in. across (7-10 cm). The blossoms are adorned with deep crimson rays surrounding a dark chocolate center disk. Enjoying a fairly extended blooming season, from early summer to fall, this Black-Eyed Susan puts on a spectacular show in the garden when other plants are starting to fade. An outstanding cut flower, its seed heads have good winter interest unless they are used in dried arrangements.
- Grows in upright clumps up to 24 in. tall (60 cm) and 16 in. wide (40cm). May survive up to a few seasons but will self seed and remain in the garden.
- Thrives in full sun in average, medium moisture, well-drained soils. Drought tolerant once established.
- Ridiculously easy to grow and largely trouble free, this rudbeckia is a great candidate for mixed borders, cutting gardens, or as an accent plant when planted in mass.
- Deer resistant, the flowers are attractive to pollinating insects, butterflies and birds.
- Remove and discard spent flowers to encourage extended blooming and prevent unwanted seedlings next season.
- Easily propagated by seed.