Vaccinium 'Pink Lemonade' (Blueberry) is a bushy upright deciduous shrub providing year-around interest. In late spring, pinkish white, bell-shaped flowers give way to pale green fruit that becomes flushed with pink, then turns deep pink for harvest in mid-late summer to early fall. Glossy and firm, the berries have a mild, sweet flavor. The foliage of glossy oval dark green leaves turns attractive shades of orange and burgundy in the fall, dropping to reveal the reddish twiggy branches. Compact, Pink Lemonade only requires 300 hours of temperature below 45ºF (7ºC) to bear fruit, and can be grown in milder climates.
- Grows up to 4-5 ft. tall and wide (120-150 cm).
- A full sun to part shade lover, this plant is best grown in well-drained, moisture-retentive, organically rich, acidic soil. Plant in a sheltered site and provide a good organic mulch.
- Perfect for mixed shrub borders in city gardens, cottage gardens or coastal gardens. Can be grown as an hedge or in containers. Great fruiting shrub with Rhododendrons and Azaleas.
- No serious pest or disease issues. Watch out for vine weevil, powdery mildews, chlorosis (manganese and iron deficiencies).
- Prune as needed in late winter beginning in the third year after planting.
- Propagation: Take 4-6in (10-15cm) softwood cuttings in late spring or semi-ripe cuttings in early summer.