Vaccinium corymbosum 'Patriot' (Highbush Blueberry) is a bushy upright deciduous shrub, with oval dark green leaves turning attractive shades of red in the fall. In late spring, bell-shaped, white flowers give way to clusters of large, flavorful, sweet, light blue blueberries which ripen in midseason (early-midsummer). Although blueberries are self-fertile, cross-pollination produces the best fruit crop (larger berries and larger yields). For optimal pollination and yield plant more than one variety with the same bloom time.
- Grows up to 5-8 ft. tall and wide (150-240 cm).
- A full sun to part shade lover, this plant is best grown in well-drained, moisture-retentive, organically rich, acidic soil. Plant in a sheltered site and provide a good organic mulch.
- Perfect for mixed shrub borders in city gardens, cottage gardens or coastal gardens. Can be grown as an hedge or in containers. Great fruiting shrub with Rhododendrons and Azaleas.
- No serious pest or disease issues. Watch out for vine weevil, powdery mildews, chlorosis (manganese and iron deficiencies).
- Prune as needed in late winter beginning in the third year after planting.
- Propagation: Take 4-6in (10-15cm) softwood cuttings in late spring or semi-ripe cuttings in early summer.