Striking all summer long, award-winning Actaea racemosa (Black Cohosh) is a beautiful perennial with deep green, finely divided foliage, enhanced by gracefully arching wands of fragrant white flowers in late summer and fall. The blooms are packed in fluffy spikes, up to 2 ft. long (60 cm), which rise well above the foliage, and mature into attractive seed pods. A standout as a vertical accent plant in the shade garden, where its flowers will shine as fairy candles.
- Winner of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- Typically grows up to 4-6 ft. tall (120-180 cm) and 2-4 ft. wide (60-120 cm). Plants will take about 3 years to develop into a mature clump.
- Thrives in average, medium moisture, well-drained soils in part shade to full shade. Moist, moderately fertile soil, enriched with organic matter is preferred. Don't let the soil dry out or the foliage will suffer. Provide a sheltered location from strong winds. The flower spires tend to bend toward bright light when grown in substantial shade.
- Trouble-free and easy care, Baneberry is a welcomed addition to beds, borders, woodlands, cottage gardens, naturalized areas.
- Attracts birds and butterflies and deer ignore it!
- Cut back after flowering or fruiting. Propagate by seed sown in pots in a cold frame in fall or by division in early spring