Actaea simplex 'Mountain Wave' (Baneberry) is a herbaceous perennial prized for its finely-divided, bronze leaves and eye-catching flower spikes. Standing out in late summer to early fall, attractive, dark stemmed fluffy spires, packed with deliciously fragrant creamy-white flowers adorned with a purple tinge, gracefully bob and sway in the breeze. They rise elegantly above the lacy foliage which provides excellent texture and color to the garden throughout the growing season. Bold and dramatic, 'Mountain Wave' will be the talking point on a garden walk.
- Typically grows up to 4-6 ft. tall (120-180 cm) and 18-24 in. wide (45-60 cm).
- Thrives in average, medium moisture, well-drained soils in part shade to full shade. Moist, moderately fertile soil, enriched with organic matter is preferred. Don't let the soil dry out or the foliage will suffer. Provide a sheltered location from strong winds. The flower spires tend to bend toward bright light when grown in substantial shade.
- Trouble-free and easy care, Baneberry is a welcomed addition to beds, borders, woodlands, cottage gardens, naturalized areas.
- Attracts birds and butterflies and deer ignore it!
- Cut back after flowering or fruiting. Propagate by seed sown in pots in a cold frame in fall or by division in early spring