Allium 'Summer Beauty' is a bulbous perennial with charming, rounded umbels, 2 in. across (5 cm), packed with up to 30 soft lavender-pink, bell-shaped flowers. Blooming in mid- to late summer, the luminous flowers are borne on sturdy, upright stems above a foliage of onion-scented, strap-shaped leaves, which remains attractive all season long. The flowers are both long lasting and excellent as cut flowers.
- Winner of the Gold Medal Award of the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society.
- Grows up to 12-18 in. tall (30-45 cm) and 18-24 in. wide (45-60 cm).
- Thrives in fertile, well-drained soils in full sun to part shade. Add grit to clay soils to improve drainage. Drought tolerant.
- Lovely in beds and borders, cottage gardens, and containers. To achieve an impressive visual effect, plant in clusters of at least three to five close together.
- Attracts butterflies, but deer ignore it!
- Generally pest and disease free.
- Cut back after flowering or merely remove dead flowerheads.
- Propagate by seed, or division at any time.