Award-winning Berberis thunbergii 'Orange Rocket' (Japanese Barberry) is a compact, upright, deciduous shrub with small, vibrant coral-orange new leaves that change to mid-green in summer before turning brilliant shades of red-orange in the fall. Tiny, scented, pale yellow flowers appear in early summer, but are insignificant in comparison to the foliage. They are followed by an abundant crop of bright crimson-red berries in the fall, which are attractive to birds and often remain on the spiny stems after the leaves have fallen, therefore extending the season of interest of this ornamental shrub through the winter. 'Orange Rocket' is perfect for brightening borders or containers.
- Grows with a tight columnar habit to 4-5 ft. tall (120-150 cm) and 2-3 ft. wide (60-90 cm).
- Performs best in full sun or part shade, in average, dry to medium, well-drained soils. Best foliage color when grown in full sun. Japanese Barberry is not fussy about soils provided they are not soggy or wet. Good drainage is essential.
- Drought, pollution, deer, clay or dry soil tolerant!
- Japanese Barberry is very adaptable. Excellent choice as a single specimen plant, massed in beds, borders, as informal screens or hedges.
- Fairly pest-free, easy to grow and to care for. May be subject to powdery mildews
- Propagate by semi-hardwood cuttings. Trim hard back at an early age to encourage strong basal branching.
- Ingestion may cause mild stomach upset