A charming, compact Montbretia, Crocosmia × crocosmiiflora 'Buttercup' features attractive sprays of wide open, golden-yellow flowers, 1.5 in. wide (3-4 cm). Free flowering, they bloom from midsummer through early fall and rise with majesty above handsome clumps of erect, mid-green, sword-shaped leaves. They attract hummingbirds like no other.
- Great perennial for the late season garden as it provides weeks of vibrant colors when many other perennials are starting to fade.
- Resembling the foliage of sword-lilies, Crocosmia's narrow, bladed leaves also provide interesting vertical accents in the borders.
- Grows up to 24-30 in. tall (60-70 cm) with a spread of 18 in. (45 cm) and begins to produce its lovely blossoms in the summer.
- Excellent border plant providing color and contrast to the perennial border. It looks spectacular in front of green conifers, among dark leaved dahlias and cannas or next to blue-flowering plants such as Agapanthus (Lily of the Nile), Aconitum (Monkshood) or Echinops (Globe Thistle). Should be planted in clumps of 12 or more.
- May be grown in containers - make sure you select a large pot with drainage holes.
- Makes wonderful cut flowers and will last up to 2 weeks in a vase.
- Easily grown in moderately fertile, humus-rich soil that is moist but well-drained. Thrives in full sun or partial shade where it will multiply rapidly and readily.
- Tolerant of summer heat and humidity, it is also drought tolerant (once established), salt tolerant, deer and rabbit resistant.