Popular for over 100 years, award-winning Crocosmia x crocosmiiflora 'Solfatare' features attractive sprays of soft apricot-yellow flowers floating atop a nicely contrasting foliage of erect, sword-shaped, bronze-green leaves. Blooming from late summer through early fall, this Crocosmia cultivar is more tender than some, therefore, it needs a good mulch in winter.
- Won the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- Great perennial for the late season garden as it provides weeks of vibrant colors when many other perennials are starting to fade.
- Resembling the foliage of sword-lilies, Crocosmia's narrow, bladed leaves also provide interesting vertical accents in the borders.
- Grows up to 24-30 in. tall (60-75 cm) with a spread of 18 in. (45 cm).
- Excellent border plant providing color and contrast to the perennial border. It looks spectacular in front of green conifers, among dark leaved dahlias and cannas or next to blue-flowering plants such as Agapanthus (Lily of the Nile), Aconitum (Monkshood) or Echinops (Globe Thistle). Should be planted in clumps of 12 or more.
- May be grown in containers - make sure you select a large pot with drainage holes.
- Makes wonderful cut flowers and will last up to 2 weeks in a vase.
- Easily grown in moderately fertile, humus-rich soil that is moist but well-drained. Thrives in full sun or partial shade where it will multiply rapidly and readily.
- Tolerant of summer heat and humidity, it is also drought tolerant (once established), salt tolerant, deer and rabbit resistant.