Flowering its heart out, Dahlia 'Melody Mambo' makes quite an impression on onlookers with its masses of velvety dark red flowers. Borne on sturdy stems, the blossoms, up to 4 in. wide (11 cm), contrast beautifully with the lush dark green foliage. They are not top-heavy and remain upright even when it rains. Blooming massively from midsummer until Frost, this dahlia grows up to 22 in. tall (55 cm) and is an excellent choice for beds and borders, patio, deck, or balcony.
- Best flowering occurs in full sun, but light shade will be welcomed in hot summer areas.
- Provide consistent moisture during the growing season and do not allow soils dry out. Plant in a sheltered location to protect your dahlias from strong winds.
- Best in groups of 5 for best visual effect. Deadhead spent flowers to promote growth of additional flower buds.
- If you live in a cool area (hardiness zones 3-7) and you want to save your dahlia bulbs, or more precisely, your dahlia tubers for next spring, you may dig them up before the first frost and store them over winter before replanting them next spring. Store them in boxes, covered with moistened sand in a cool, dark, frost-free place where temperature remains between 45-50 °F (7-10°C).
- This Dahlia is a member of the Decorative Dahlias. These are double dahlias with broad, flat-tipped petals that are sometimes wavy. The flowers are normally large and the plants easily top 40 inches tall, although there are even taller varieties. They can be formal with flat petals evenly and regularly placed throughout the flowers, or informal with generally flat petals, sometimes slightly rolled at the tips, but with irregular arrangement of formation.They are all real eye-catchers!