Fritillaria meleagris 'Alba' (Checkered Lily) is a bulbous perennial with charming pendent, pure white, bell-shaped flowers on slender stems in mid to late spring. Its pure white petals are adorned with a faint check pattern like a watermark. The delicate flowers are complimented by lance-shaped, grass-like bluish-green leaves. Not bright or showy, this unusual spring flower invites a further look!
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- Grows up to 12 in. tall (30 cm).
- Specimens that receive what they need often continue to flower year after year in the same location.
- Plant in fall in a full sun to part shade area in organically rich, moist but well-drained soil for best results. For better growing conditions, soil can be improved by adding upgraded black peat. The best results are achieved when the plants are not disturbed.
- Spectacular in groupings in borders, containers, rock gardens or naturalized areas.