Ideal for the woodland garden, Geranium sylvaticum 'Birch Lilac' (Wood Cranesbill) is an erect herbaceous perennial forming a dense mound of deeply divided green leaves, topped with abundant, saucer-shaped, lilac blossoms adorned with a small white center from late spring to early summer. Flowering best in damp conditions, let it ramble and tumble in with its neighbors beside a pool, stream or in a bog garden!
- Clump-forming and vigorous, this deciduous perennial reaches 24 in. in height (60 cm) and 20 in. in spread (50 cm). This sturdy performer is not only easy to grow, but it also requires very little maintenance
- Performs best in full sun or part shade, in moderately fertile, well-drained soils. Full shade is tolerated but not preferred. Best in moist soil.
- A perfect border plant, it is a spectacular addition to beds, borders, cottage gardens, underplanting roses and shrubs and is an excellent choice for the woodland garden.
- Watch for vine weevil, capsid bug, sawflies and powdery mildew
- Remove flowered stems and old leaves to encourage the production of fresh leaves and flowers. Propagate by division in spring or propagate by basal cuttings in early to mid spring and root with bottom heat.