Luminous, Hakonechloa macra 'Stripe It Rich' (Hakone Grass) is a compact, golden variegated grass. Its foliage forms an attractive mound of gracefully arching, white-striped, golden leaves, that ripple in the slightest breeze. Delicate looking flowers appear in late summer, but are generally unnoticed among the leaves. Bringing alive any garden area, this Hakone Grass is spectacular as a woodland accent, in containers, along pathways or entrances.
- Grown for its handsome and eye-catching foliage, this ornamental grass is a long-lived, tough and unlike most grasses, loves moist shady conditions.
- Typically grows in dense, spreading cascading mounds, up to 10 in. tall (25 cm) and 20 in. wide (50 cm).
- Easy to grow, resilient to pests and diseases, this ornamental grass requires little maintenance and is a fabulous addition to shady areas where it can grow as a superb accent plant, or an effective groundcover, along paths,around trees or in containers.
- Performs best in part shade, in consistently moist, humus rich and well-drained soils. Full shade is tolerated, specifically in hot summer climates, however the foliage might lose its color intensity.
- Cut back foliage to the ground in late winter or early spring before the new shoots appear. Provide winter mulch.
- Best divided in spring. Though this grass does spread by rhizomes, it is a slow grower and it will not be necessary to divide this grass for many years.