Cheerful and vigorous, Hellebore Winter Jewels 'Golden Sunrise' (Helleborus) features large (2-3 in. wide, 5-8 cm), single, saucer-shaped, canary-yellow blossoms, some with a red picotee edge or a showy red starburst center. The flowers are downward facing, like most hellebores, but the back of their petals is handsomely marked with colorful red veining. Blooming heavily for weeks from late winter to early spring, these nodding beauties rise on sturdy, thick stems above the leathery, glossy, evergreen foliage. Showy and long-lasting, ideal to brighten the shade garden!
- Grows in a bushy, upright clump, up to 18-22 in. tall (45-55 cm) and 24 in. across (60 cm). This perennial will self-seed in satisfactory growing conditions.
- Performs best in part shade to full shade, in rich, humusy, moist, alkaline, well-drained soils. Lenten Roses are very tolerant and will grow well in most soils as long as the ground is not extremely dry or stagnantly waterlogged. Select a sheltered site to protect them from cold winter winds. Deer resistant!
- Easy to grow, this plant is a welcomed addition to shady borders, containers, under trees or large shrubs, woodland gardens or naturalized areas. Plant in groups for best visual impact. Lovely groundcover when massed
- Virtually disease and pest free but watch for slugs and aphids.
- Remove faded flowers stems (unless you require seed) to promote new growth and for a neat appearance.
- Ingestion may cause severe discomfort; skin irritant.