A reverse sport of acclaimed Hosta ‘Patriot’, Hosta 'Fire and Ice' (Plantain Lily) is a clump-forming perennial forming an upright, compact mound of widely oval, lightly twisted, satiny, creamy-ivory to pure white leaves adorned with irregular dark green margins. Racemes of funnel-shaped, lavender flowers appear in summer on scapes rising well above the foliage mound to 20 in. tall (50 cm). A slow grower, 'Fire and Ice' is a dramatic hosta selection which adds great color to the shady borders and containers. Perfect for small gardens!
- Easy grower, 'Fire and Ice' grows 8 in. tall (20 cm) and spreads 12 in. (30 cm).
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society.
- A full sun to part shade lover, it is best grown in rich, moist, well-drained soils. Quite sun tolerant with adequate moisture, this plant is not fussy about soils and tolerates a wide range of conditions. Site in strong light in the morning but avoid hot afternoon sun.
- Perfect for the shade gardens, mixed with other perennials, as groundcover, edging, underplanting shrubs or in containers.
- Watch for slugs and snails which could damage the attractive foliage.
- Cut off the stems after blooming to encourage the plant's growth. Discolored leaves should be trimmed back to the ground.