One of the best blue hosta cultivars, 'Halcyon' (Plantain Lily) is a great addition to shady areas where it forms an attractive, dense mound of smooth, flat, spear-shaped, thick-textured, intense blue leaves. Bell-shaped, pale lilac blooms appear in late summer, rising on mauve-gray scapes 26 in. long (65 cm) but the primary contribution of this hosta is its lovely foliage.
This cultivar retains its extraordinary blue leaf color well into late summer if provided with good light to dappled shade. 'Halcyon' is a slower growing hosta (takes several years to develop its mature shape) whose dense foliage crowds out most garden weeds.
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- Easy grower, this clump-forming perennial grows 18 in. tall (45 cm) and spreads 41 in. (102 cm).
- A part shade to full shade lover, it is best grown in rich, moist, well-drained soils. Partial shade is best, but it can tolerate some sun if the soil is kept moist.
- Perfect for the shade gardens, mixed with other perennials, in beds and borders, city or cottage gardens, as edging plant or underplanting shrubs.
- Watch for slugs and snails which could damage the attractive foliage.
- Cut off the stems after blooming to encourage the plant's growth. Discolored leaves should be trimmed back to the ground.
- Propagate by division in late summer or early spring