Vigorous and fast growing, Hosta 'Royal Standard' is a large Hosta with heart-shaped, satiny, slightly dimpled, bright green leaves, 9 in. long (22 cm). Opening from lavender-tinted buds in late summer to fall and rising high on scapes 42 in. long (105 cm), the funnel-shaped waxy white flowers are delightfully fragrant and far more abundant than those of its parent, Hosta plantaginea.
- Easy grower, Hosta 'Royal Standard' grows 36 in. tall (90 cm) and spreads 51 in. (127 cm).
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society.
- A sun to part shade lover, it is best grown in rich, moist, slightly acidic or neutral, well-drained soils. Quite sun tolerant with adequate moisture, its leaves will turn chartreuse if exposed to full sunlight. Shelter from cold, dry winds. Mulch in spring.
- Perfect for the shade gardens, mixed with other perennials, as edging plant, underplanting shrubs or in containers.
- Watch for slugs and snails which could damage the attractive foliage.
- Remove spent foliage as required and clear up dead foliage when it dies back at the end of the growing season
- Propagate by division in late summer or early spring