Noted for its long-lasting flowers, Hydrangea macrophylla 'Amethyst' is a compact mophead hydrangea with large and bold, rounded flower heads, packed with soft pink or pale violet-blue florets, depending on the soil pH. Blooming from early to late summer, the remarkable blossoms age to reddish pink with lime green markings and last for weeks in their final color, lime green. The foliage is medium to light green with large, glossy, serrated leaves. 'Amethyst' is perfect to create a low hedge and lovely in containers.
- This deciduous shrub enjoys a round habit, typically growing 2-4 ft. tall (60-120 cm) and 3-4 ft. wide (90-120 cm).
- A sun to part shade lover, it is best grown in rich, medium moisture, well-drained soils. Full sun is tolerated if constant moisture is provided.
- No serious pest or disease issues. Watch for bud blight, bacterial wilt, leaf spot and mildew.
- Perfect from foundation plantings to container plantings. Massed in a sheltered location or as an accent plant. Effective as an hedge and makes excellent cut flowers too!
- Remove spent flowers to promote new blooms.
- Blue in acidic soils, the flowers turn pink in alkaline soils. To change their color, add aluminum sulfate to the soil to make the flowers bluer or add lime to the soil to make them pinker. Treatment should occur ahead of time (late fall or early spring).
- This beautiful deciduous shrub should be pruned after flowering by cutting back the stems to a pair of healthy buds. Prune out weak or winter-damaged stems in early spring.