Noted for its enormous inflorescences, Hydrangea macrophylla 'Big Daddy' produces stunning, rounded flower heads, up to 14 in. across (35 cm), densely packed with sky blue to pink florets, depending on the soil pH. Blooming on both old and new growth, this reblooming mophead hydrangea flowers in early-mid summer on old growth and in midsummer to fall on new growth, guaranteeing a long season of interest. The profuse blossoms appear on a bushy plant, adorned with dark green, glossy leaves. 'Big Daddy' is perfect as a specimen or in small groupings for the shady border. Great choice for flower arrangements too!
- This deciduous shrub enjoys a round habit, typically growing 5-6 ft. tall (150-180 cm).
- A part shade to shade lover, it is best grown in rich, medium moisture, well-drained soils.
- No serious pest or disease issues. Watch for bud blight, bacterial wilt, leaf spot and mildew.
- Perfect from foundation plantings to container plantings. Massed in a sheltered location or as an accent plant. Effective as an hedge and makes excellent cut flowers too!
- Remove spent flowers to promote new blooms.
- To change the color of your Hydrangea, add aluminum sulfate to the soil to make the flowers bluer or add lime to the soil to make them pinker. Treatment should occur ahead of time (late fall or early spring)
- This beautiful deciduous shrub should be pruned after flowering by cutting back the stems to a pair of healthy buds. Prune out weak or winter-damaged stems in early spring.